I wonder if there is any girl in the world who gets as excited about March Madness as I do? I’m sure she’s out there somewhere, wondering the same thing. But honestly, I have met very few dorks like me who stay glued to every single shot and exalt in utter glory when they whip their husbands in the brackets. I know there are a few out there, and you know who you are.
And speaking of March Madness, what’s a great game without a fatty, greasy, game day cheese steak? Well, in lieu of the fatty and greasy, we’ll substitute with healthy and quick. But I promise this sandwich will not disappoint. It’s cheesy and drippy and oh so yummy. Use mozzarella cheese, and it cuts the fat by one third. If you pick a lean steak like sirloin, flank, or flat iron, you’ll keep the saturated fat and cholesterol levels low. And because these leaner cuts tend to be inexpensive, you’ll save some cash, too. Double bonus! (The puns are rampant today.)
We used sweet Italian bread, which is super soft and squishy, and it works great for these cheese steaks. Use whatever bread you love. My favorite veggies for this sandwich are the traditional onions, green peppers, mushrooms, and jarred hot/sweet jalapenos. But substitute whatever prime time players you like. (Sorry, couldn’t help it.) This baby takes less than 20 minutes to whip up…that’s about the length of a March Madness televised halftime…just in case you’re wondering.
Go Cats! Go Racers! Shake those booties!
Game Day Cheese Steaks
Prep and cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 medium onion, sliced into rings
- 1 green pepper, cored and sliced into strips
- 1 (8 oz) package fresh mushrooms, sliced
- Approx. 1 pound sirloin steak (or flank or flat iron)
- Canola or vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce (or more to taste)
- 1 Tbsp. spicy brown mustard (or more to taste)
- 2 (12″) loaves sweet Italian bread (or your favorite bread/deli rolls)
- 8 slices mozzarella
- Preheat broiler to high (500 degrees)
- Slice onion, pepper, and mushrooms, and transfer to a large bowl
- Slice steak against the grain into very thin strips and sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil over high heat in a wok or large skillet until oil is shimmering
- Add onions and stir fry for about 1 minute
- Add peppers and mushrooms and stir fry another minute or two
- Pour veggies back into the large bowl
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil over high heat until shimmering and add sliced steak…DO NOT STIR for at least 30 seconds!
- After 30 seconds of allowing the steak to sizzle and brown, then toss the steak quickly for another 20 to 30 seconds
- Immediately pour steak and juices into the bowl with the veggies, and stir in Worcestershire and mustard
- Allow meat and veggies to rest in the bowl for a few minutes to soak up those heavenly juices while you prep the bread
- Slice the 2 foot-long loaves in half to make 4 (six inch) sandwich loaves. Slice loaves open along one side (but don’t cut all the way through.)
- Place open loaves, face up, on a baking sheet, and top each with 2 slices of mozzerella
- Heat loaves under broiler for 2 minutes or until cheese melts and bread starts to brown
- Fill loaves with meat and veggie mixture, along with any additional toppings…I recommend hot/spicy jalapenos and more mustard…then squish together and have at it!